October 09, 2007

Everywhere there’s light

In Mary Baker Eddy’s book of collected writings, Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896, there is an interesting six page article called “An Allegory.” I was reading it again this morning and didn’t make it past the end of the first sentence before I had to pause for a while. The sentence is: (323:2-6)

Picture to yourself "a city set upon a hill," a celestial city above all clouds, in serene azure and unfathomable glory: having no temple therein, for God is the temple thereof; nor need of the sun, neither of the moon, for God doth lighten it.
Obviously MBE is indicating here chapter 21 in Revelation where John describes the holy city, New Jerusalem. Though I’ve read this part of Revelation many times and have read this allegory a few times before, this morning I really had to sit back and ponder this depiction of light.

No sun, no moon, stars, street lamps, etc., just God giving light to the city. So the source of light is God, infinite Spirit, who I think of as omnipresent – everywhere present, always present. So the source is all around the city, not from some specific point and it is always “on”. And so it struck me, do you know what isn’t there? Shadows! The light is coming for all over; essentially is. You would need light to come from an object or point and then for it to shine on some thing that could block some of the rays in order to create a shadow. But this isn’t the case in the celestial city, the realm of God. God just shines and surrounds all spiritual creation in His light. Kind of cool, I think.

An image that this concept brought to my mind is from Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Don’t know if you ever watched this show, but periodically Captain Sisko would have encounters with a group of infinite beings called “the Prophets.” When he is with them, he is enveloped in light. Everything around him is white light. Hmm, don’t think he had any shadows, either. I think this might be a useful image to use to try to picture what this total surround of spiritual light might be like.

But what a great thought – to be shadow-less, to have no darkness on you or cast by you. This is what the true spiritual being is like. So to me this indicates that my role is to expect this light, see this light, and do what I can not to block it from shining purely, perfectly everywhere I go, in encounters with others – essentially to be expressing those good and wonderful spiritual qualities that reflects that light of Divine Being and helps to obliterate the shadows that cloud my own and others’ sense of life.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg on this perspective of light and so I will be picturing for myself this "city that is set on a hill" awash in light for a while. What does that look like to you?

No comments: