October 02, 2007

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning!

Oh, what a beautiful Mornin'
Oh, what a beautiful day.
I've got a beautiful feelin'
Everything's goin' my way.

Rogers & Hammerstein

I woke up this morning with this refrain from the well known song “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning” from the musical Oklahoma singing in my head. There was no logical reason for it to be there. I enjoy musicals, but they aren’t a big part of my life. I truly hadn’t thought about this musical in ages. So I had to take it as a sweet message from my Father-Mother God. Really it was a lovely way to wake up with this gentle melody running through my thought.

So, being a fairly curious person, I had to ask why. Why this song, Father? What am I supposed to get from its words? Well, I realized that I have had an urge to appreciate mornings more. I’ve never thought of myself as a “morning person.” Not that I wake up grumpy – I’m usually in a good mood, even my husband says so (phew!). But I don’t exactly look forward to waking up, getting up, and getting going on the day. And for me being up before 6:30 is pretty amazing! So this was a great message to get, to brighten my outlook on starting the day. As I lay in bed and thought about the words and began to pray, I really was feeling more positive about this day’s beginning.

In Science and Health, Mary Baker Eddy defined morning as “Light; symbol of Truth; revelation and progress.” (p. 591) Certainly only good things there! And I do want to progress, to be awake for revelation. A great reminder and something to continue to pray with as each morning comes along – whether it is at 6 AM or later in the day.

But I am thinking the message of this melody is more than that for me today. I have been thinking and wondering quite a bit lately about what I am doing with my life of late and about the mix of activities that I am participating in currently. There is a lot and it all takes quite a bit of my time, in addition to trying to finish fixing up our house (two-and-a-half years and counting!) and generally care for it. So I’ve been asking, “Am I supposed to be doing all of these things? Am I giving to each activity the care and attention it deserves?” They mostly all go together well in their focus, but… should something be dropped?

So the last two lines of the refrain feel significant to me in this regard right now. I can have a “beautiful feelin’” – a happy, secure, peaceful sense – that “everything’s goin’ my way” – because, as it says in Science and Health, “All is under the control of the one Mind, even God.” (p. 544) and I am learning more and more to trust this fact, and that the result of divine Mind’s or Love’s control is and must be good for all of Her creation, because God is Love. And this gives me a sense of peace, that I can trust that God will provide for me the opportunity and ability to do well for these activities, that She will help me see more clearly – in the light of the morning – what I should or should not be doing. I’ll know when I need to and don’t’ need to fret.
So I think I’ll be singing this song, or at least the refrain for today and the next few days. We know what hymn Laura Matthews is singing today. How about you? What song is in your heart and inspiring your day?

Have a beautiful morning!

1 comment:

Laura said...

wow, we're in sync about this.... I'm always asking, am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing? But each day dawns bright and beautiful, so I just go with it!

"This is the day the Lord hath made... be glad, give thanks, rejoice!"